Last night, Tom & I tackled the adventure of making jalapeno jelly. The kids were all in bed, so it was a project for us 2 to do. Tom found this jalapeno recipe on online. I got jars & lids ready and we both had to go on a hunt to find the "canner" tongs that I knew I had, but had no idea where they were. Finally found them buried in my pot holder drawer next to the stove, still packaged new from the store as I bought it 3-4 years ago. Hmmm, tells you how much I haven't done canning.
Tom prepared the peppers & once it was cooked, he strained it through a cheese cloth (which I've also had on hand for several years, but never used). Then he took the strained juice and combined it with the sugar and later the pectin. When it was close to being done, oops - it boiled over. Ooh, a big sticky oops. That stuff had the consistency of homemade candy before it's cooled. The only way we got it off was to put super hot water on it, to help dissolve it off the stove top. Surprisingly, it cleaned up fairly well with the really hot water. By the end of the night, we had 12 jelly jars of jalapeno jelly. Which we discovered this morning, that all 12 of them had sealed. Yea, a successful adventure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
oh,yum! what a great project to do together. i am picturing the lovely jewel-toned green in the jars! i am sure you will enjoy it!
Post a Comment