This afternoon I felt ambitious. While the kids were outside playing in the backyard, I joined them, but worked on the raspberry patch that tends to have too many patches of very tall grass growing in it. Part of the section, we've been trying to grow asparagus for the last 4 years. I pulled/ripped grass out and then laid it all around the 6 little bunches of asparagus that I found, in the hopes that all the pulled grass will kill the weeds/grass trying to grow where the asparagus should be growing and expanding. Another reason for pulling the grass out is that it becomes a haven for mosquitoes! The kids have already received plenty of itchy bites that swell to 1 inch diameter sometimes. Ella has gotten much better this year about not itching the bites once we've put anti-itch cream on them. So consequently her bites disappear much sooner than the other kids' bites do.
Our garden is planted! yes the whole plot of garden space is actually planted this year! We received some free plants from a brother to a guy in our church. This guy started his own plants and he decided to start about 900 of them all in styrofoam cups in his own greenhouse that he set up. So we have cabbage, eggplant, broccoli, tomato, jalepeno pepper, green pepper plants planted. The rest we did seeds. We planted cucumber, zucchini, squash, okra (yes I like the slimy stuff!), green beans (really long ones), sugarsnap peas, spinach, lettuce, swiss chard, arugula (like spinach except fancier), and yellow zucchini. Might have missed something because Tom planted it all. I'm not good with spacial stuff. Last year I tried to plant some zucchini, cucs, and spinach. The 1st two items came up, but I buried the spinach seeds too far down. Tom's going to take care of the hoeing and I'll take care of pulling the weeds/grass that close to the plants. With our fenced in backyard - hopefully I should be able to keep up with that this summer so that our garden for once does not turn into a grass jungle where we have to hunt for our vegetables!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Elaine, you are an ambitious gardener. At summer's end, you will be feasting! =)
Post a Comment