Friday, May 28, 2010

Obedience Day

In contrast to Tuesday, today was a really good day. Even though I was tired having gotten to sleep around 11:30 since Tom was crazily finishing up packing for the Boundary Waters trip that he took (leaving at 2am this morning).

Today the kids practiced Obedience. After breakfast, we read the Obedience section from the A Child's Book of Character Building: Growing Up in God's Worlds-At Home, at School, at Play by Coriell.
We sang the hymn Trust and Obey. Then I showed them the Obedience chart I made. It had the scripture verse from Colossians 3:20 "Children obey your parents in everything for this please the Lord." and it had "Obedience: Doing what is expected of me cheerfully, immediately, and thoroughly" I explained to them that for the rest of the day, when they obeyed me then they could pick a star sticker out and put it on the chart. When Ella and Emmeline got to 10 stars - they would get a juice box. When Ezra & Elise got to 5 stars they would get a juice box. Wow, were the kids excited about this! It seemed to work well. By end of lunch - Elise and Ezra had earned their prize and by snack time in the afternoon, Ella and Emmeline earned theirs. The oldest 2 commented that they loved this obedience chart and it made it fun to obey and it helped them to obey cheerfully!

1 comment:

Deb said...

You are one smart mama.