Quote from John Piper in his book Don't Waste Your Life
"If you are a Christian, you are not your own. Christ has bought you at the price of his own death. You now belong doubly to God: He made you, and he bought you. That means your life is not your own. It is God's. Therefore, the Bible says "Glorify God in your body." God made you for this. He bought you for this. This is the meaning of your life."
I identified with Crystal Paine on her blog from Biblical Womanhood (click here to read her Part 1 & part 2 of overcoming weariness). I've known for awhile that I've not had joy in my Bible reading nor have I expressed much joy interacting with my kids through out the day. So I've finally made a decision to start the process of getting that joy back. It started this evening when I closed the spider solitaire game I was playing and instead opened Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life (I didn't have any of Crystal Paine's book suggestions on hand, but thought Piper's book might fit my situation) and read the 2 page preface, from which the quote above comes from. The bolded part really struck me. It gave me the boost needed to then open my Bible & reread Ephesians 1:3-14 (I read this during the kids' quiet time, but gave myself the excuse of being too tired and so didn't get anything out of it accept knowing that it was familiar). In the 7th verse, Paul writes "In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding."
So my thoughts - if God lavishes his rich grace on us, why can't I seek him more and work on some more spiritual disciplines (especially prayer & meditating on scripture) & ask God to give me the desire to truly want to do this? So now I'm more motivated & looking forward to reading Piper's book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Elaine, your honesty and humility are such a blessing. Thank you for sharing your heart and inspiring me to renew my spiritual discipline fervor too!
Post a Comment