Friday, September 26, 2008

Produce day

Thursday was Tom's day at home & boy did it turn into a work day. He went and picked stuff from the garden (it had been over a week since it had been picked). He came in with big zucchini, lots of bell peppers and jalapeno peppers, eggplant and tomatoes. He also picked all of the collard greens and then proceeded to de-stem it all and then blanch it. I stuffed it into freezer cartons and labeled them. We ended up with 10 quarts of collard greens - which we like to fix with Ethiopian food or eat with pasta. He also shredded up (we'd borrowed a food processor from a neighbor) most of the big zucchini and I put it into cartons to freeze. Emmeline had fun picking the overgrown green beans. She plans on playing with them or making a "soup" with them. Tonight the kids ate the bean part out of the green beans for a pre-dinner snack while we waited for the cabbage to finish cooking with our cornbeef. The "bean" wasn't that tasty to me, but Elise & Ella sure liked it.

Ella completed her "a" reading book today. Tomorrow, on Saturday, we'll finish the workbook pages. Then next week it'll be onto the short vowel "e". I'm pretty sure we'll get through all the short vowels before the baby is born in late December.

Tonight Tom is making a diaper/food run to Walmart. He took a late afternooon nap while the rest of us went back to the orchard for an afternoon of fun with Annie and her mom, Ruth. Tomorrow I'll try making jalapeno jam. I needed liquid pectin rather than the powder kind and our local grocery store only carried the powder. We've sampled jalapeno jam before and Tom says it's real good as a spread on crackers.

The kids had a blast playing in the bin of corn.

No comments: