Wednesday, September 10, 2008

School has started

Having put off our planned vacation to Colorado due to the sudden death on August 31st of a dear friend and leader in our church and having completed a difficult week of funeral planning with the family last week and actually doing the wake & funeral/burial services . . . . .
I decided to start homeschool with Ella while Emmeline tags along. So far we've reviewed the phonics songs/games that Ella learned last winter/spring and have been working on counting to 100. By next week, Ella will be back to her phonics workbook working on the short vowel "a" and starting to read her first book. For the counting, I made a chart of squares with a number 1 through 10 in a square. Then today the girls colored in the squares as I started to read aloud to them the biography of John Chapman God's Faithful Planter - Johnny Appleseed (appropriate, I thought, for September and all the apples that come in this month). I plan on reading aloud a chapter a day to them while they're coloring something.
The number chart is for a coin toss game. They toss a coin and whatever number square it lands on, they count out that many pennies. Then at the end of the game, they count out their total number pennies that they have. They enjoy the game and learn about counting and pennies at the same time.

1 comment:

Deb said...

elaine, we were so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear friend...grandpa starkjohn told david when he was at the farm this last weekend. we are asking the Lord to comfort you and Tom and to be your Wisdom as you seek to comfort the family that lost their loved one. bless you!

p.s. i love hearing about your schooling!