Sunday, January 6, 2008

Noodle Nose

Odd title? Yes it is. And it sure was strange when I changed Elise's diaper after lunch today and saw (what I thought was some gross snot at first) a spaghetti noodle peeking out of her right nostril! I guess some how she sneezed/coughed it into her nose while eatting at lunch. I've never seen her stick food in her nose and didn't at lunch today either. She hadn't choked at all and wasn't experiencing any breathing problems either. I got most of it out by using a nose sucker and some tweezers. I had her strapped in on the changing pad and held her body & arms still with my right arm and used one hand to hold her head and the other to use the utensils to get the noodle out. After Tom was home from church I did call the E.R. and talked with a nurse who said there was no danger of her breathing it down her windpipe, but recommended some salt water to help flush out the rest of the noodle still in her nose. After it was all over with plenty of hollering & crying from little Elise - she slept soundly for 2 hours.
I guess I might add that I stayed home from church this morning with all 4 kids, since they were still coughing and Ella had a fever the night before (did get one again by lunch today) and they'd been sick all previous week. So I thought it best to hole up at home and not take the chance of spreading the sickies around.
This morning while the kids played, I blogged and posted pictures. Then when Tom got home - we talked for awhile. Tom almost lost his voice preaching this morning - he's caught the cough from the kids. The afternoon passed quickly with not too much happening.
Was warm today, 40 degrees and I didn't get outside to enjoy it. We passed on a walk because of all the coughs. So we had a simple supper - pork steak & boiled whole potatoes topped with butter, spinach & cottage cheese.
Now Jesse Purcell stopped by to grab a bite to eat and visit with Tom.

No comments: