Monday, December 3, 2007

Pieces are connecting

Many thoughts to share about today.
I've read more in Family Driven Faith by Voddie Baucham, a book Tom has already read. The last 2 chapters were about the home as God's territory. I remember several things my parents did as I was growing up to do this (a few they still continue to do). One is every morning before we ate breakfast (with the exception of Sat. then it was done at lunch) Dad read a devotion from Our Daily Bread. Followed by praying for what was just read & for the day, people, and for the food. A few years he read through a big read book (the name is slipping my mind right now) that told pretty much every thing in the Bible but in story format. There's still a picture hanging up of an older man sitting at a table with the Bible with his hands clasped in prayer. We listened to the radio - a heard various Bible teaching programs like Haven of Rest at 1pm, Elizabeth Elliot at 1:30, J. Vernon McGee at 1:45 - who taught through the whole Bible, We also listened to Insight for Living at 2pm, Focus on the Family at 2:30pm (I think I got most of the times right). You could tell the time of day by what program was on. I believe Back to the Bible was on at 7am? Adventures in Odyssey was once a week on Sat. at 8:30. (which now my kids are listening to once a week as well as Paws & Tales - we listen via the internet since the station doesn't come in too well).
Tom has started our family on nightly family worship before the kids bedtime. We sing songs (some with actions & some songs typically sung Sunday morning). Tom plays his guitar as we sing along. Then we say a scripture together with eventually the girls memorizing it. So far they've (and we too) have memorize 1 Cor. 13 & part of Rev. 1:4-8 and we almost have down 1 Tim 6:11-16 (this is the same passages many are memorizing in church & are saying in front of people Sunday mornings).
Tonight (and this month) we're reading through the Christmas story as well Luke 1-2. Ella was excited about worship tonight and ran and got my Bible so that we could continue to the Christmas story & hear more about Zachariah & Elizabeth. She also found (by herself) the passage that Tom preached from on Sunday, which was 1 Timothy 3:14-16.
Now on Sunday mornings, Ella is sitting with me (and soon Emme will too) and I'm trying to help her understand whats being said during the sermon. I have her copy certain keys words from the power point & occasionally sketch a few pictures to illustrate points. I also have her follow my finger as any scripture passages are being read. Thus, she had seen the 1 Timothy passage as was able to find it herself. Pretty exciting for us to see - that the pieces are connecting with some spiritual things in Ella's life.
I think we're going to add The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes by Kenneth N. Taylor. This is a book both Tom & I remember from childhood. The copy I have is from my Grandparents Kenneth & Gladys Ricketts (my mom's parents) house. I think we'll start reading it to the kids in the morning around breakfast time.
Ah, the big red book's name was Hurlbut's. The name finally came to me. : )

No comments: