Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Lessons of Humility that lead to Jesus

My character flaw of my temper (voice raising, frustration/anger in tone of voice, etc.) has been worked on in great degree during the past couple of days. Tom and I even prayed about it, too. I don't like it and would like to change. But I realize that it's only by the grace of God that I can change anything. So with Christ working in me, I believe this character flaw will slowly but surely be changed for a more gentle & quiet spirit, which something a woman really needs anyway (see 1 Peter 3:4 "but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious" (ESV). Of course as to be expected, when determination has set in and prayer added, situations inevitably come up to test the new course of action taken to see if I'll truly work towards a Christ-like response and attitude. So to say that I've had to apologize several times during the last couple of days would be an understatement. But out of this Ella & I had a interesting and insightful conversation this morning. She said "You need to make sure and read your Bible and pray every day so that you don't yell so much, Mommy." Boy did she hit it on the nail. I responded that I sure did need to do that, and that it would only be by the grace of God that I would be able to change because I can't do it by my own strength. We also talked about the kids song that was sung on Sunday Read Your Bible, Pray every day, which says that if you do that (read your Bible & pray everyday) you'll grow and when you forget to do that you shrink. Also when I have apologized for raising my voice and then asked for forgiveness from the kids: the girls respond with "I forgive you" and Ezra gives me a big hug. Oh bless their tender hearts! I so want to help them grow to love the Lord Jesus and most certainly do not want to be a hindrance to it. So when it comes to mind, please pray for me that I'd respond with a quiet & gentle spirit and not one of harshness.

No comments: